Book of the Year 2021

 Book of the year 2021

 

10.  Elanor Oliphant is Completely Fine – No, she is not.

9. Interior Chinatown – Pretty creative structure to this book - written in screenplay form with a TV show within the book.  Our main character tries to advance from Generic Asian Man to Kung Fu Guy on the set of the TV show.  A lot of themes about prejudices and feeling like you are living in the background of someone else’s story

8. On The Road – Really interesting from a period piece perspective.  Long car trips in the late 40s/early 50s.  Things were different then.  Especially for our crew of renegade pre-hippies.

7. The Half-Drowned King – Vikings, family issues, violence, and revenge.  What else do you want?

6. Jane Eyre – Really impressive that this story was written with a pencil.  All sorts of tropes – which aren’t tropes if you invented them.

5. Things Fall Apart – Yes, yes they do.

4. The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao – Our hero is a socially awkward Dominican teenager living in New York.  We get multiple generations and characters telling the Dominican story and diaspora during the Trujilo era.  Not the easiest book – I didn’t understand most of the Spanish and I only got about half of the sci-fi references (did I mention Oscar was socially awkward?), but in some ways, that disorientation seemed like part of the experience.

3. The Kite Runner – Difficult, but really, really good.  Two boys growing up in Pakistan with all sorts of social forces weighing on their relationship.

2. The Book Thief – At first, I wasn’t so sure about this book.  Our narrator is Death and I wasn’t sure about him as a storyteller, but he brought me around.  Death is busy during World War 2 Germany, but is able to tell us this sad story with a surprising amount of sweetness.  This book has a lot of what I like about YA.

1. Deacon King Kong – Loved this book.  Our hero – Sportcoat aka Deacon King Kong may have shot the neighborhood drug dealer (he was too drunk to remember…which is his constant state) but neither party seems to hold any real malice about the incident.  Hijinks follow.  A lot of well-plotted hijinks.  I really, really enjoyed this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of the Year 2025

Book of the Year 2023

Book of the Year 2024